It is in our nature as human beings to focus on the burdens and hardships associated with our day-to-day life, including our professional life, with less attention on our blessings. Yet research has shown that consciously recognizing our blessings is beneficial to our physical health and emotional well-being. With those benefits in mind, here are the top five reasons sales is among the best professions on the planet:
- Autonomy - Few jobs provide the level of independence enjoyed by sales professionals. Sure, sales objectives are set by leadership in the organization, but sales professionals have a good degree of autonomy regarding how we reach those goals, including how we spend our time and the specific activities we engage to be successful.
- Variety - Closely associated with autonomy is the terrific variety of functions and experiences in our work day. No two days in the life of a sales professional are exactly the same; and isn't that just the way we like it?
- Exceptional Earning Potential - For sales professionals, there is a clear and direct correlation between our performance and our reward, and there is rarely a ceiling to our earning potential.
- Making a Difference - How many functional areas in your organization drive the revenue, profitability and growth of the company? There is only one, and it is sales! We all want to make a difference in the world, and sales professionals have the potential for dramatic impact on our own organization and our customers' organizations.
- Life-long Relationships - It's hard to think of a professional in which personal connections are more foundational than they are in sales. As sales professionals, we have the privilege and joy of continually cultivating meaningful and life-long relationships with customers.
These unique job characteristics (Features and Advantages) result in an exceptional level of empowerment and personal satisfaction (Benefits) for sales professionals. The assertion here is that sales is among the greatest jobs in the world - but not necessarily the easiest! That's a subject for another blog...