“Laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.”
-Ella Wheeler Wilcox
A positive disposition and upbeat energy are attractive qualities for anybody, but they are the very lifeblood of the sales professional! However important or desirable, the emotional demands of sales can make maintaining a perpetually upbeat mood extremely challenging. The best solution for overcoming this challenge may be a simple and effective process for improving your bad mood when it does occur. In their recent HBR.com article, 4 Steps to Dispel a Bad Mood, authors Alexander Caillet, Jeremy Hirshberg and Stefano Petti outline a specific sequence of practices called the “4-Step Reset” to increase one’s ability to shift from a bad mood into a productive state of mind:
- Engage Breathing – Breathing promotes a physiological condition called “coherence,” which leads to improved mental clarity, focus, emotional stability, and decision making…”
- Activate a Positive Feeling –Focus on a person, place or thing you truly appreciate /are grateful for. The idea is to stimulate the release of neurochemicals and hormones that improve our mood and outlook, and that help us to remain alert, curious and engaged.
- Reframe Thinking – Ask yourself specific questions to assess your current thinking and help you decide if a different way of thinking might be beneficial to your current situation. Suggestions include:
- What else is possible here?
- What is the opportunity in this situation?
- What really matters right now?
- What could I learn in this moment?
- What does my heart say? What does my gut say?
- What is a more useful/constructive approach?
- What is the most desirable outcome?
- Re-engage Action – With the above steps in place, re-engage with a new attitude and behavior, and perhaps even a different course of action.
Like all development efforts, this mood improvement technique will take time and practice before you are able to master the skill of effectively shifting your state of mind. But the time you devote to developing the technique will be well worth it, as the article authors write, “The 4-Step Reset is a simple way to help break your bad habits, move toward greater calm, happiness, and energy, and become more effective as a result.”
Read the entire article: 4 Steps to Dispel a Bad Mood
All content and training concepts are the intellectual property of Carew International, Inc., and any reference to these concepts must include a statement of express ownership by Carew International, Inc.