Pathway to Negotiations
Pathway to Negotiations (PTN) is designed to help sales professionals master negotiation tactics and techniques, and their strategic application to maximize profit without sacrificing customer relationships. Sales professionals leave armed with the insight and methods to avoid profit-draining concessions – even in the face of an increasingly competitive and price sensitive selling environment. Carew’s own strategic negotiation training process serves as the foundation for the PTN program.
PTN negotiations training goes beyond academic understanding of negotiation tactics, methods and practices. Participants engage in activities and exercises utilizing the skills, tactics and strategies covered in the workshop, for an energized and memorable experience. The PTN program can be customized to address the specific needs and challenges of your organization.
PTN is Carew’s most relevant resource for achieving a competitive edge in today’s economic reality through the development of advanced negotiation tactics and sales solutions.
PTN Program Overview
Plotting Your Destination
- Learn about the knowledge, skills, and attributes that characterize an effective negotiator.
- Understand how the tone of negotiations will vary depending upon interpersonal and environmental factors.
- Learn a strategic process for implementing negotiation tactics that will serve as the foundation for the remainder of the program.
- Analyze your conflict resolution and negotiation style.
Preparing the Path for Success
Many sales professionals make strategic and often irreversible decisions by assuming that negotiating begins in the final stages of the sales cycle, rather than as part of the ongoing relationship.
- Develop your ability to establish positive contact with a prospect.
- Create and preserve an interdependent relationship with customers during the sales process.
- Diagnose communication barriers and eliminate them.
- Anticipate and diffuse confusion, objections, and hostility that could otherwise stifle or derail the relationship.
Developing Your Solution
A thorough exploration of the customer’s needs and wants can often reduce or eliminate the need for negotiation.
- Develop a deeper insight into the customer’s critical needs, concerns, and how to address those needs in the negotiation process.
- Understand the decision-making process and criteria for success.
- Create organizational maps to obtain access to all decision makers.
- Provide the rationale for adopting a solution.
- Demonstrate how the solution brings value to the customer.
- Influence the customer to take action and reach agreement.
- Eliminate profit-draining concessions.
- Understand the issues that could potentially diminish the value of the solution.
- Practice identifying sources of value for exchange and concessions.
- Examine the structure of a successful negotiation and how to replicate it.
- Learn powerful negotiation tactics such as “Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement;” “Listen, Acknowledge, Explore, Respond;” and Quid Pro Quo.
Navigation Around Minefields
In today’s marketplace, customers are understandably willing to go to extreme measures to get the best deal for their organizations. There are a number of tools and tactics utilized by customers to control, coerce, intimidate, and confuse salespeople into making unwarranted concessions.
- Identify potentially profit-draining tactics and learn methods to counteract them.
- Develop the confidence and competence to handle tough situations with effective diplomacy.
A View From the Summit
- Engage in a role-play that utilizes the skills, tactics, and strategies that make up the workshop.
- Examine the concept of “balance” to protect your organization’s resources while moving the customer toward a commitment to action.